Friday, January 28, 2011

Reader (and self) Appreciation

I am always cheered up by comments left on my blog and over at flickr.  Feedback is a wonderful thing and being pretty much a hermit, I appreciate the dialog.  Luckily I haven't gotten too many negative comments, because I am a touch sensitive to criticism.  However if I got bummer comments I might leave them up for authenticity and for sake of discussion... I usually only delete spam ones.   I might not reply to each and every comment I get (I don't like the way blogger doesn't let you reply directly, and might jump on the DISQUS bandwagon soon, but that system seems to have faults too).  At any rate, thank you readers!  I always try to visit your blogs in return and feed my reader with your RSS.  My feed reader is a glutton.   

One comment in particular this week was heartwarming-- I was tagged with a "Stylish Blogger Award" by emily-jayne, a lovely image consultant across the pond, and she left me a comment to let me know (which is one of the rules).  She participates in Frocking Fridays, likes vintage looks and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so her blog is right up my alley.  My feed reader licked its lips and chomp chomp chomped.

There are any number of forms/varieties of these blog awards, basically they are warm fuzzy memes... of which I've not done many on this blog, but am not adverse too.  Plus who doesn't like being called stylish?

Leaving comments, sharing links in posts or blogrolls,  being tagged in memes... to me it all falls under the same umbrella of community spirit.  Or a pep rally where we are all cheering each other on.  Waving "Hi" in the halls and passing notes in Algebra and collecting school pictures and decorating the gym with streamers and confetti and doing silly skits and voting/clapping/laughing for each other when we get "Most Likely to Succeed" or "Best Science Student" awards at the end of the year.

Pretty much this blog post is my acceptance speech and I'm blushing and mumbling and ultimately turning it around and saying "No, no... Thank You!  I couldn't have done it without you!"

[orchestra starts playing]

But wait, here are the rules of the Stylish Blogger Award...

Thank the person who gave you the award and link back to them in your post - check!

Tell us seven things about you- ok, some of these might be known already to long time readers:
  1. I actually did get "Most Likely to Succeed" and "Best Science Student" awards in high school.  Plus I was Valedictorian.  To put it in context, there were 45 students in my grade, but still-- I can be smart, sometimes.  :)
  2. It has taken me way too long to try to write this damn post.  Taking my own sweet time is a fairly common flaw(?) trait of mine.  I'm afraid that time management is not a skill I put on my resume. 
  3. Even though it is basically just a big dose of overpriced vitamins, I totally use Airborne Effervescent Health Formula and feel like it works.  Believing in it is what matters.  Plus it fizzes.
  4. Oh, also in the medicine cabinet, maybe you didn't know, I have hypothyroidism on my mother's side.  Diagnosed at age 31 while stressed out and tired and having border line blood pressure while in grad school.  Have been taking Synthroid since then and I dread getting my blood drawn once a year for refills.  Dread.  
  5. I'm on the 9th book in the Sookie Stackhouse series and am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I sort of like the books (the last ones have gotten a lot better than the earlier ones).  I've only seen part of the HBO show while staying at my sister's, and honestly I don't care if I ever see any more of it.  I like Anna Paquin, but totally not how I envision Sookie, neither in looks nor manner.  Sookie in my head is like Chrissy Snow from Three's Company, or maybe this one actress I totally can't figure out how to google who she is but she has long thick blonde hair and was in a couple independent films in early 2000s.  ETA the next morning: Hope Davis! Found her on a hunch that led me to looking through Stanley Tucci films on IMDB, i.e. they were in The Daytrippers (1996!) together.  I guess she is a little mature to play Sookie, but to me that is how she looks/acts in my head.  
  6. Another woman recently told my husband he was looking H A W T!  Much nicer for him to hear than that one time I remarked about his weight loss by saying he felt "frail" -  oops.  At least we can laugh about it.  
  7. Ran for 25 minutes straight this morning!  Actually it is a slow jog really.  But Laura the podcast girl says I can officially call myself a runner now.  Three more weeks to go, no more walking intervals other than to warm up & down.  
Award seven recently discovered new-to-me bloggers- ok:
Lazy Madonna (a thrifty stay-at-home mom, in Australia!)
Dawn (Not really a "style blogger" but she's 'new' to me and likes my outfits so that works for me!)
ThriftyMommaSays (only semi-new but thrifty stylish and a staunch supporter of moi)
Patterned Piles (a thrifter roller derby art wunderkind-- in my home state of Iowa!)
A Day in the Life Too (new reader who looks so super happy & energetic in her pictures that it actually rubs off on you, the power of the web!! ! !!! !)
TeenySparkles (a fun New Zealander who actually just got a Versatile Blogger Award recently, she better dust off her mantle)
SimplyBike (stylish AND academic AND bikes/runs AND totally pregnant all at the same time and also currently rocking it in the midwest)

Contact these bloggers and let them know they've received the award: will get to that next, but first I'm going to print my own award off and blow it up really super big and hang it above my bed next to a equally huge quadtych of myself.

[orchestra's volume intensifies, emcee leads me off the stage]

Love to all!  Thank you!  *Miss America wave*  Thank you!  *blows kisses* 


And just because, here are nine old crones* from back in the 'remix day blogs that I'd be sure to add to my overly long acceptance speech:
Jennoit
Maven
bitsandbobbins
franca
jodi
softspoken
Thrift Candy
Already Pretty
byHillary
*y'all are very stylish but don't need to play this award game if you don't want too, just bask in the glow of my praise  :)

17 comments:

  1. Hey THANKS! I'll get to posting this...when i can think of 7 more things!!! Love your blog and style btw. but you know that already.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny! hehe...Thanks for the award. Yep, I look forward to reading your blog everyday. I like the fact it's so diverse; you never know whatcha gonna get :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the award! I will start working on the response. I noticed you read the Snookie Stackhouse series. I just read the first book and I'm not sure I'm going to read more. But then you said they get better...so maybe. I liked it and I didn't, but was fascinated enough to finish it! I've been inspired by your fashion posts...thinking of doing something in the future. (BTW, my last post was a work of fiction for the writing workshop.) Thanks again--love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats girl! PS: i'd take "frail" any day;) hahah!
    YOURS, MINE AND OURS

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks sandra! i'm working on my response...i loved your 7 things. so fun to read. have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to lurk, but I suppose if comments make you happy, I should add one. I'm a hermit like you, the internet is my social outlet. :) I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're one of my favorite blogs to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sigh - back in the remix days :) Thanks for the shout-out (and congrats on your running!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all, and yay for lurkers coming out of the woodwork!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandra,

    sorry to be a little late with this but I've been behind on blogging lately. But thank you so much for thinking of me and giving me the award! And the kind shout out on your blog!

    It totally made my day! :)

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sandra,

    sorry to be a little late with this but I've been behind on blogging lately. But thank you so much for thinking of me and giving me the award! And the kind shout out on your blog!

    It totally made my day! :)

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks all, and yay for lurkers coming out of the woodwork!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to lurk, but I suppose if comments make you happy, I should add one. I'm a hermit like you, the internet is my social outlet. :) I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks sandra! i'm working on my response...i loved your 7 things. so fun to read. have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the award! I will start working on the response. I noticed you read the Snookie Stackhouse series. I just read the first book and I'm not sure I'm going to read more. But then you said they get better...so maybe. I liked it and I didn't, but was fascinated enough to finish it! I've been inspired by your fashion posts...thinking of doing something in the future. (BTW, my last post was a work of fiction for the writing workshop.) Thanks again--love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so funny! hehe...Thanks for the award. Yep, I look forward to reading your blog everyday. I like the fact it's so diverse; you never know whatcha gonna get :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey THANKS! I'll get to posting this...when i can think of 7 more things!!! Love your blog and style btw. but you know that already.
    x

    ReplyDelete