Thursday, January 27, 2011

Week 2 of Couch-to-Derby

There was supposed to be another practice tonight but I was the only one there.  I'm beginning to feel like I'm the only one committed to Sparkle Motion.  But it is fun anyway, and something I'd been wanting to do, so I'm doing it.  Let's call it my Couch-to-Derby plan, and this was Week 2.  I'm getting better, no spills this time either.   Couple wobbles though, as I was working on my speed and not slowing down too much on the corners, specifically by practicing crossovers on the turns.  

I skated for about 90 mins and was feeling it by the end.  My lower back didn't hurt as much this time, now it was my thighs... so maybe my balance was getting better and I was doing more proper leg work & footing?  Who knows, at this point I'm just winging it, need to check out more of those youtube vids.    

There was one family there (besides me) and the little girl rolled up to me and said "you're a good skater."  Awww!  I'll take that praise even though probably her major criteria was whether I fell down or not.  I told her I used to skate when I was her age and was just starting to practice again.

Maybe next week I'll try out the speed skates...  these old guys have a certain charm though.  

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I used to skate at the rink every week when I was a kid. I desperately wanted a pair of white boot skates but never got them. I have some rollerblades now but am too embarrassed to go out in public to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I used to skate at the rink every week when I was a kid. I desperately wanted a pair of white boot skates but never got them. I have some rollerblades now but am too embarrassed to go out in public to try them out.

    ReplyDelete