Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pretending I'm at the Beach

The One thing that sticks with me the most about this date in history is the unbridled patriotism that popped up everywhere in the following days, weeks and months.  While it was a bit overwhelming/cheesy at times, it also choked me up.  I'm a sucker for that "let's all band together, yee ha" and/or "oh yeah? f* you" vibe.  ETA: As long as it's not hateful/violent in spirit... I meant it more in the sense of a group hug, or "We're loud and we're proud..."  

Therefore I thought today would be a good day to wear some Team USA colors, especially since I recently thrifted this cute little beach cover-up with the idea it could be worn as a dress.  However the tube top styling is a little hard to pull off unless you know, you are going to the beach... maybe I could rock-a-billy sport it while mowing the lawn or something, or if it was still in the 90s... but thankfully it is cooler today (had a lovely 4 mile run this 63 F morning.  I still got sweaty, but you know, it was able to, like, evaporate, yay).  

So even with a red bikini top underneath, rocking it as a dress is still a bit tough as I don't even have pool cleaning to use as an excuse since we didn't put ours back up after the move :(  So today mostly I'm just wearing it as a jaunty navy blue terry cloth skirt.  After trying a couple variations out, I settled on adding a t-shirt, continuing the patriotic theme with a red & white one featuring my favorite US state.

But not to deny the world of the splendor that is this cover-up, I took both a shy shot and a sassy shot.  

IMG_7056   IMG_7058

Not 100% Thrifty, but...
* t-shirt from Des Moines, IA boutique (have had this several years now and will likely never get rid of it)
~ beach cover-up as a skirt, thrifted NWT Miken brand
* red bikini top, clearanced big box retail (it's the first clearance item I've bought in a looong time, and by my rules I don't count sportswear/swimwear/underwear as "not buying new" cheating, however I have thrifted items like that and didn't get cooties)
~ navy Keds, thrifted

5 comments:

  1. It's weird because I mostly just remember the blatant racism and threats of violence and surveillance that happened in NYC post-9/11. I remember being very sad, and sleeping while breathing in clouds of smoke from the site coming over the river (I was in Queens).

    One particular incident, at work:

    "That family on my street better watch it. They don't have a flag in their window like everyone else does."

    "Really? Everyone's hanging flags?"

    "Yeah. And they're BUDDHIST so who knows what they believe. They can be terrorist on my own block."

    "Have you met a buddhist?"

    "They are weird and they better put a flag up or you can't trust them."

    "..."

    That week they put up an American flag peace sign in their window and while they were still deemed "weird", they were only then "American".

    And this is from someone who was raised in Queens/NYC. WTF, people.

    The other very vivid memory I have was watching TV at our local Queens bar and some asshole with an NRA card next to me leaving with a hammer to go beat up anyone who wore a turban.

    I think I came to hate my fellow NYers more than ever after 9/11 because they showed how truly small-minded they really are, big city or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that makes me a naive small towner that never ran across and/or blocked out the fact many of the flag wavers were/are assholes. I suppose posting a trivial look-at-my-cute-patriotic-outfit blog on this day makes me come off as an asshole too? I wasn't there, I experienced it only through radio, super slow internet page refreshes and then the TV once home. I remember being freaked out and scared and sad too, but this year I chose to remember it in a more uplifting way.

      Do you still hate your fellow NYers?

      Delete
    2. I don't think it makes you come off as anything other than someone posting an outfit - honestly, I'd FORGOTTEN what day it was because I had a big meeting yesterday and that was my focus. Later in the day my roomie at the time posted on my FB wall about walking over the bridge that day and how horrible it was. Yours was the first mention of it that I saw!

      I'd forgotten that I thought I killed my roommate that day because I told her to meet me at work to walk over the bridge home when shit was breaking loose and then right when we were supposed to be meeting in front of my building there was a bomb scare and stampede which caused my work bldg to block the doors so no one could enter. I hid in a locked revolving door and people tried to cram in with me to push the door through but kept running on the street when they realized it was locked. By the time I finally got back into my work building to safety and tried to call my roommate, I realized we both had no cell service - I didn't know where she was and then the bldg was blocking me LEAVING too, due to another bomb scare. (This is when I started crying because up until that point I had autonomy.) Thankfully my boss (real estate mgmt co for the building) demanded they let us leave. And there was my roomie - THE ONLY PERSON STANDING IN FRONT OF THE BUILDING ON A TOTALLY CLEARED OUT 42ND ST! She missed the entire stampede because she got lost. I came to work every day after that because it was real estate and we had to find ready-made office space for all the businesses displaced and we had bomb scares every day. And every day you'd pass all of these missing persons homemade flyers at major transit stations. I still remember this one particular girl 'til this day. I mean, it sucked and instilled a sense of fear in us that we never had before (you could hear a pin drop in the subway basically all that week) but I wasn't downtown and I wasn't in the WTC so I still consider myself not really all that affected. It was so much worse for so many other people here.

      I don't know if I actively hate everyone any longer but from that point on I realized that NYers are more racist and small-minded than I originally thought so I don't trust them in that capacity. I used to think that everyone who lived in NY would be more open-minded but it's not true.

      I think it's nice to have pride in the US and our can-do boots-up collaborative power. It's certainly there in a lot of cases. I just wish I had seen more of it and not as much violence and racism (and profiteering - OMG!) come out of it.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I like the sassy shot and I don't think dressing in RWB is so naive. I have a distinct memory of going to see a public reading by Garrison Keillor a week after 9/11. They had changed the venue because so many people were clamoring to attend. We all gathered in an auditorium with several thousand people and he led us in an a capella version of "God Bless America". I teared up--it was very, very moving, especially when so many people had confronted their fears of gathering in a public place just to see him.

    in regard to Jesse's comment: I can remember the Muslim students on campus being obliged to disappear from campus for several weeks after. And a Sikh friend told me that they were harassed for years after because of the turbans they wear.

    I have often found that newly arrived immigrants most proudly wave the flag. Ironic, no?

    ReplyDelete