Friday, January 31, 2014

Snow Daze

Having grown up in the Midwest and lived there for a good part of my adult life as well, weathering through many extended snowy weather situations, I sit down here in the South and I laugh at how silly it all seems that everything basically shuts down when we get any accumulation of snow whatsoever.  I mean 4 SNOW DAYS?  Is that really necessary?  But oh well.  I guess it is better than having everyone out on the roads.  Some of those pictures of traffic jams in GA and AL are just like how did that happen exactly?

It's starting to melt now and is supposed to be 70F on my birthday next week so I guess I should just enjoy this unexpected "break" while I can.  I've tried to take pictures to remember it by, as we very rarely get a "heavy" snow like this.  The boys made a snowman yesterday when the melting made the snow stickier.  More photos here.


Today is my sister Cathy's birthday and I've already sent her a GChat (actually it is Hangouts now, which I don't like to use as much).  Might have the boys record a song for her later.

It is also the Chinese New Year which seems early to me, so I was surprised to see that in a headline or something earlier today.  It is a Year of the Horse.

So here is a picture of Cathy & I probably on a joint birthday 30+ years ago, with some horses.


And here is one I found while looking for the horse one, of us with our Dad (and more horses).  


Old pictures always make me almost start happy crying, but no tears just now, more like a misty eyed smile.

Which quickly changed to a sneered "please back off" directed over my shoulder to a boy lurking behind me, wanting something.  I'm snagging a few minutes on the computer during their Brain Break, which basically means I'm trying to keep the boys off screens for a while.  We may even venture out of the house, but the longer I put it off, the less I want to do it.  Going into a store for "just a few things" with 3 kids in tow is like setting yourself up for failure.  You basically have to run through there, hoping they keep up, and ignore all pleading requests.  That takes a lot of energy and despite not having done a lot of anything, I'm fairly drained at the moment.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.  It is Friday isn't it?  My routine is all out of whack.  :(

PS - I'm letting my madamOwl.com and madam0wl.com domain registrations expire.  That doesn't effect this blog at all really, but just in case you use the .com's in your bookmark or whatever, then you might have to change it to madam0wl.blogspot.com.  Not sure what my RSS feed points to, probably just this blogspot address anyway.  I figure I'll keep this blog up for sporadic personal type / update-y posts like these, but if I ever go into business or something, I'll use some other moniker other than MadamOwl anyway.  Stew seemed a little miffed I was letting the URLs expire but I'm just ready to move on and why pay $24/yr for something that gets so little use?

7 comments:

  1. So does your PS mean that I shouldn't have sent you the madam0wl stickers that were supposed to be delivered after lunch today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box arrived but even though it's not all for me, I'm waiting to open it on my birthday. The stickers sound fun and I can still use them.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain in the whole "taking three kids to the store". Good to know my pain is chronic and will not go away anytime soon.--Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if that is "good to know" or not. :)

      Delete
  3. Uh... Cathy could be Cyrus' twin sister... but, hey, maybe that's just me seeing what I want to see. Stew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing, so it's not just you.

      Delete
    2. I can see it too. Hadn't noticed it before, but definitely in these pictures. :)

      Delete