Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Assembly Line for Candy Cars

Another Snow Day today, and most likely we'll have another one again tomorrow since we had more snow plus now it is freezing rain.  Fun times.  So far we still have electricity though, so that's a plus.

Killed some time today by doing a chore we needed to get done before Saturday's Pinewood Derby race... making Candy Car party favors.  

They did this last year, which is where I got the idea, but I wanted to see if I could do it on a smaller scale and maybe cheaper?  So as I was googling decoration ideas I happened upon this candy car link in somebody's Pinewood Derby Pinterest board.

I've always found Pinterest kind of annoying but one thing it seems to be good for is finding somewhat categorized crafty stuff like this (or like, 17 Day Diet recipes), so yay for that.  I even made my own board to hold all the derby decor ideas I found on there, so I have like a grand total of like 5 boards on there now, omg.

The source blog post from the image was pinned from didn't really have any explanation, just the picture really.  But I liked that it was based on a smaller car body than the King sized movie box cars from last year's derby, which seemed like it would have set us back like $50+.  Except I couldn't find gum packs the right size at the right price (was running short on time), so made do with what I could find, which was two bags of Snack sized Kit Kat bars, one bag of Miniature Assorted chocolate bars, a bag of Hershey's kisses and 4 bags of peppermint mints.  

I brought all that to Monday night's workshop and tried setting up an assembly line there with the Cub Scouts but it turned out first plain old Elmer's and then second Super Glue would not dry fast enough (or ever) so that was a big Fail.  Today though, in the confines of our own home, and with only 3 boys running around instead of like 30, I felt safe whipping out the hot glue gun.  

So I set up the same assembly line and tested out whether hot glue would work, and finally, 3rd time was a charm.  After a while I even let Wiley and Cyrus have a hand at the glue gun work.  Milo did fine (and even had a little fun) sorting out the car pieces.

We ended up able to make about 54, which should be fine, if not way too much.  There ended up being 3 or 4 models that we rotated through somewhat randomly throughout the process.  It took about 2 hours with a few breaks in between.  And probably about 5 or 6 mini glue gun bullets.  All together it was < $25 to do.  

So here's my blog post that maybe I'll pin to Pinterest so that somebody else can find later on, completing the craft karma circle.










1 comment:

  1. Great job on the cars!! Awesome project for the monsters. All looked to be having fun.

    ReplyDelete