Sunday, March 27, 2016

Visor Testing

Happy Easter!  The rabbit didn't wake up before the kids this morning, but I convinced them to go back into their rooms and pretended to call him on the phone to tell him he'd missed our house and could he come back?  We'll go visit friends this evening but until then it is kind of a normal Sunday for us heathens.  So that means I will blather on about my latest crochet project.    

On Friday I took a break from continued butterfly production and tried out a visor pattern I'd been wanting to test out.  The pattern itself just shows a solid color throughout and a Size 3 crochet thread, smaller than typical craft yarn.  Which is what I used in the black, on the visor part, plus first few rows turned out good. However, since it was the day of ISU Mens Basketball playing in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen tournament, and I had my cardinal & gold gear on, I decided to jazz it up a little and add my ISU colored craft yarn.  Because everyone needs a matched visor and flip flop set right?  

Anyway, it was going pretty good, but I couldn't get it done in time for the 3 pm kids-pick-up time, which is maybe about where it was when I took that first goofy in-process selfie below on the left.  I should have just stopped there, except the elastic I'd bought to put in it, as called for in the pattern, was 1.5" and I hadn't made enough rows yet to cover it.  So once back home I just kept going, and the spike stitch pattern in the thicker craft yarn started getting too bulky, widening the gauge of the "band" so that it started looking really big & bumpy.  Especially when I got to the part where I was supposed to keep making rows high enough to fold it in half to cover the elastic.  By that time I hadn't compensated for the increase in gauge, plus I was using a bigger hook too because I was getting impatient to get it done.  When I finally starting watching the game at 7 pm, I was almost done but once I had folded the band over and trying to fasten over the elastic, it was way too bulky and all the excess on the inside made it super tight around my head.  Bummer.  Design modification fail.


Apparently my cheer visor failure was an omen, because ISU started out 10 - 15 points behind and stayed that way the rest of the game.  We'd given up watching it after the first 5 minutes, and I'd already started pulling out the too big rows... finally putting it down for the night to try again the next morning.  I sort of got it looking a little better the next morning (selfie on the right), but still wasn't happy with it.  Also I won't be wearing ISU cheer stuff until next Fall most likely.  So I pulled out all those craft yarn rows back down to the original black crochet thread rows, and this morning I started over.  I still wanted some color detail in it, so I tried just a couple single crochet rows of pink craft yarn, followed by the rest of the black crochet thread, which ended at just the right height to cover 1.5" elastic.  I decided to try the top fold over rows with the craft yarn again, only this time compensating for gauge by decreasing number of stitches evenly around the band. Once I got it tall enough and folded over, I tried it on without the elastic and decided it was snug enough so left it out.  


I think it turned out better/sleeker this time, but still have a few modifications to try out.  I will probably leave this one as is and try making a second.  The moral of this story is that sometimes you have to fail a few times before you get what you want, so don't let the mistakes bust your bubble too much.  Just shake it off and try again.  ISU lost the game, but at least they didn't get completely trampled, and they made it further in the tournament than they did last year.  Surely by next year I'll have perfected my visor design and will have an ISU one ready to go...

1 comment: